This Post may contain Affiliate Links. Please read our Disclosure for legal jargon.
Here is a step-by-step method on how to clean your burners. Before that, it’s good to know why you have to clean the burners. Cooking causes evaporation of the oil, and the oil gets accustomed to the burners. The oil in the burners is prone to attract all dirt and spillage. Thus, the burners turn black and greasy. Have a look at how to clean your gas, electric, and glass burners.
For Gas Stove Burners:
- Steel scrub
The best time to clean your burners is during the night after your cooking is done. Remember to shut the gas off. There will be a valve connecting your gas and the stove. Shut them to close before you start to clean.
Step 1: First let the burners cool down completely. After cooking the burners will be so hot, so beware not to touch them. Wait for it to cool completely. If you are not sure whether it is cool or not, just sprinkle some water over the burner. If it hisses then it is hot, if not then you are good to touch the burner.
Step 2: Take the burners and put them in a bowl. Add some vinegar and let it soak completely overnight. If you are not a fan of the vinegar smell place the bowl on the balcony.
Step 3: By morning, drain the vinegar and retain the burner. You can see some changes in the burner.
Step 4: Take the steel scrubber and use dishwashing soap to scrub the burner.
Step 5: You have to use some muscle strength to clean the burner. By constant scrubbing, the dirt and grease will go away.
Step 6: Wash the burner in clean water and let it dry. Use paper towels to pat them dry.
Step 7: Check the burner if it is completely dry before you put them back on the stove.
That’s all, this is how you clean your gas stove burner. But if this method doesn’t work for you, try using Ammonia with a plastic zip-lock bag.
Step 1: Wait for the burners to cool down.
Step 2: Take the burner and put it in a plastic zip-lock bag.
Step 3: Use ammonia spray, over the burner. And zip-lock the bag.
Step 4: Let it be overnight. The acid reacts with the burner and creates fumes which will help the burner’s grease and dirt to wear off.
Step 5: Open the bag by morning in a good ventilation space. By now the burner must have left all the residues.
Step 6: Clean the burner with a sponge and if needed give a scrub.
Step 7: Rinse the burner thoroughly, dry it, and put it to use.
Tips: Some part of dirt may accumulate still and will block the flames coming from the burner. Use a long needle and poke in between the holes of the burner to remove any dirt while cleaning and wash it in water. Remember to do it gently.
For Electric Stove Burners:
Cleaning an electric product, with water! Don’t get scared. If you are the person who always let the food spill all over the stove and burner while cooking? What if I say that you can clean those burners with and without water? Follow these steps on how to clean the electric burners.
Scared of using water to clean your electric burner. Then use this method to remove the dirt on the burners. The heating method is called self-cleaning
- Remove all the pans, vessels, and cooker from the stove.
- Let them burn on high for three minutes.
- The food accumulated on the burners will wear off due to the heat.
- Let the burner cool completely.
- Remove the dust with a wet microfiber cloth.
- Let the burner coil dry, with a dry cloth or paper towel.
- Now you can use the electric stove.
The heating method can’t be much effective if you have food particles like sauce that have been left clean, it gets tougher due to the heat of the stove and is unable to clean in the heating method. And for that, you have to need to use some water along with some other cleaning products.
Water with an electric stove can be scary, but be sure to turn off your stove before you start to clean
- Wait till the burner gets cool.
- Remove the burner coil from the stove
- Go to your sink and use a scrubber and liquid detergent
- Use some water and start to scrub. This will remove the food residue on the coil.
- Let it dry with a cloth or paper towel completely.
- Put back the burner on the stove and you can use it now.
If you are still against using water, soaking the burner in water, try using a Magic eraser to clean the electric burner.
Magic Eraser Method
Worried about cleaning your electric stove burner. A one-stop solution for cleaning without any mess is the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It does wonders and manages to clean every food stain, grease, and dirt.
- Make sure if your burner is cool
- Take a magic eraser in water and squeeze it without excess water.
- Erase the affected areas, and the magic starts to appear.
- To reach narrow places, cut the eraser as per your need and clean every nook and corner.
- Take a sponge or microfibre cloth to wipe the area.
- Let the burner dry completely.
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is the one that you should remember while cleaning your burners at ease.
How Often You Should Clean Stove Burners:
Clean your stove burners once a month. Whether you have blocked burners are not, clean them monthly once. This will help from a heavy deep cleaning.
For the stove:
- You can regularly wipe them after every cooking. So, it looks clean.
- Weekly once you can clean it by sprinkling baking soda and pouring vinegar on the top. Let it be for 10 – 15 minutes. Then wipe it with a towel or microfibre cloth and looks good.
- Monthly once you can clean the heavy caramelized stains with a razor blade. Clean the areas with a blade, scrub them generously and wipe them with a microfibre cloth.
For Glass Stove Burners:
Having a glass stove looks modern, and sleek and gives a lavish look to the kitchen. But like any other glass, the stove also gets dirty easily. No need to say what a cooking stove will look like after all spills, and oil splatters.
Cleaning it regularly is known, but think about the burnt food stain, calling in for heavy cleaning. Known factor glasses must be handled with care. So, get to know some tricks on how to clean your glass stove burners.
- Take any liquid dish soap
- Take a microfibre cloth and not any paper towel or tissues. Because they are wood-based and can spoil your glass stove burner with scratches.
- Let the stove cool completely before you start to clean.
- Wet the microfibre cloth and take some liquid dish soap.
- Wipe it on in circular motions, and cover the full stove. This helps to remove all the stains, grease, and dirt.
- You can wet the cloth whenever it becomes dry.
- Wipe it till there is no soap residue left.
- Take a new dry clean microfibre cloth and wipe the excess wet present.
So, that’s how you clean your glass stove burner as easily as that.
We have reviewed how to clean gas and electric stove burners and also glass stove burners with a step-by-step explanation. Now you can start to clean your burners without any haze and clean it in a few minutes. Now that you know what to do, you can clean with ease without any worry.