This Post may contain Affiliate Links. Please read our Disclosure for legal jargon.
Baking Soda or Sodium Bicarbonate is one of the most versatile ingredients in your kitchen. Everyone knows that baking soda is widely used in baking. But, very few know that uses for baking soda ranges from cleaning your home to improving your health.
Baking Soda is a miraculous product with diverse uses. And it’s natural and inexpensive! It also has a rich history of being used as cleanser, soother, and deodorizer.
Baking Soda is being actively used as an ingredient for cleaning various stuff. So having a box of baking soda at home is very useful and can make your cleaning chores very easy to accomplish. So have a look at the various amazing uses of baking soda and start implementing them from today itself!
1. Eliminate pesticides off Produce
Switching to Organic produce is the best way to eliminate pesticides, but organic produce is expensive and not widely available. However, you can easily get rid of pesticides, dirt, and contaminants from conventional produce by washing them using baking soda. Follow these steps next time you wash produce:
- Make a mixture of water, vinegar, and baking soda.
- For skinned veggies & fruits like apple, gourds, etc pour the mixture into a bottle and spray it 5-6 times.
- Let it stand for 1-2 mins, then rinse with clean water and eat.
- For leafy veggies, soak them into the mixture for 1-2 mins.
- Rinse with clean water and eat.
2. Clean Comb & Hair Brushes
Hair Brushes and Combs are dirt magnets. Apart from catching surrounding dirt, they also catch dandruff, oil and other stuff from your hair everytime you comb or brush your hair. If you don’t wash it regularly, these things go back to your hair and making them dirty.
It is recommended to wash your comb and hair brushes once a week but if you don’t get enough time at least try to wash them every 3-4 weeks. Just soak them in a cup of warm water mixed with a teaspoon of baking soda and some shampoo for a few hours. Baking soda will act on the dirt and oil to make your comb and hairbrushes clean again.
3. Restore Silver
You can easily restore the shine of tarnished silver by following these steps. This works only for original silver cutleries or ornaments.
- Boil 2 cups of water, add 2 tablespoon baking soda and a pinch of salt along with an aluminum foil.
- Dip silverware in water for 15-20 seconds. (longer if it’s highly tarnished)
- Take the silver items and dip them in water mixture and wrap them in another aluminum foil.
- Keep’em in foil for 15-20 seconds.
Your tarnished silver items will regain its shine easily.
4. Clean Oral Appliances
Having a good oral hygiene is extremely important. To maintain a good oral hygiene, it’s important to clean your oral appliances like toothbrush, retainers, and dentures from time to time. Since they go in the mouth, the last thing you would want is to clean them using chemicals.
If you want to clean them naturally without chemical cleaners, just add 2 teaspoons of baking soda in a cup of warm water and soak them in it overnight.
5. Clean Food Residue
Residue or burned residue after cooking is one of the toughest things to clean in Kitchen. Follow these steps to easily clean off residue left after cooking food:
- Firstly, take the pan or pot you want to clean and fill it with water.
- Add a cup of vinegar and 2 tablespoons of baking soda to it.
- Let it sit for 8-10 mins, empty it and scrub the pan or pot with a scrubber.
- Still got some residue on it? Apply a paste made with equal parts of baking soda and vinegar where needed and scrub. Done!
6. Unclog Kitchen Sink
Why use chemicals to unclog your kitchen drain when you can unclog it naturally? Follow the steps here to unclog your drains naturally:
- First, break and loosen the clog using a plunger.
- Once Loosened, pour a pot of boiling water down the drain.
- Now, put half to a quarter cup of baking soda and let it sit for 3-5 mins. Meanwhile, make a mixture of a cup of vinegar and a cup of boiling water.
- Pour it on the baking soda and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Now Finish it by pouring one more pot of boiling water.
You would also like these clever vinegar cleaning hacks.
7. Clean Microwave Oven
Want to get rid of stains or cooked food odor from the microwave quickly? Follow these steps for an odorless microwave:
- Add a cup of water in a microwave-safe bowl and mix it with 2 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Put the bowl in the microwave and let it run for 2-3 minutes. (don’t cover it)
- The steam from water and baking soda mixture will deodorize the microwave and also loosen up caked stains inside the microwave.
Done! Your microwave is fresh and clean again in just 5 minutes.
8. Get Rid of Oil and Grease Naturally
It’s very hard to get rid of oil and grease residue left in Kitchen after cooking fried food. Just wiping them water and cloth won’t remove it. Follow these steps to get rid of grease stains from items in the kitchen.
- Sprinkle some baking soda on the item you want to clean.
- Spray some Vinegar on it to dampen the surface. When combined Vinegar and baking soda are amazing cleaning combo.
- Let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then Wipe down the greasy area with a damp sponge.
- Follow up by wiping with a clean damp cloth.
9. Baking Soda Floor Cleaner
Cleaning your floor without using chemicals is one of the many amazing uses of baking soda. Follow the steps to remove dirt and grime without leaving unwanted marks on your floor. Make a baking soda cleaner and store it in a bottle for use. Here’s how to:
- Take 1/2 cup of vinegar and mix it with half a cup of baking soda.
- Add a tablespoon of hot water in the mixture.
- Mix it in water in place of chemical cleaner when required.
Remove scuff marks:
Just take some baking soda on a clean and damp cloth to scrub the marks. Rinse and let dry, scuff marks will be gone.
10. Remove Crayons from Wall
Easily clean your kid’s creativity on walls using baking soda. Just take baking soda on a slightly wet cloth and rub on the stain. Wipe off with a clean and dry cloth. Make sure you rub lightly or paint will peel off.
11. Clean Tea and Coffee Stains
Follow the steps to clean tea and coffee stains using just baking soda.
- Firstly, dampen the stained surface.
- Sprinkle some sodium bicarbonate and scrub off the stains using a damp cloth.
- If that does not work, apply a thick paste of baking soda and white vinegar over it and let it sit overnight.
- Scrub it off in the morning.
12. Clean Brass
Take a lemon wedge and sprinkle some baking soda on it. Use this baking soda lemon to easily clean and shine the brass objects.
13. Detergent Booster
This is an amazing hack for your laundry in the list of baking soda uses. Adding a cup of baking soda to laundry will boost your detergent. Your clothes will be cleaner, brighter and fresher if use baking soda with detergent.
You can also remove perspiration stains just by giving your clothes a baking soda pretreatment. How? Just rub baking soda and water paste on the stains, let it sit for 30-40 minutes and wash with rest of the laundry.
Borax is also an amazing laundry booster. Check out these amazing borax cleaning hacks.
14. Baking Soda Carpet Cleaner
You might be cleaning your carpet with cleaners available in the market. They contain harsh chemicals which can be harmful to your children and pets. Why use them when you can use baking soda to make a natural and chemical-free carpet cleaner. Making it is this easy.
Just mix 1 cup each of baking soda, water, and vinegar. Tada! Your carpet cleaner is ready. Vinegar has some amazing cleaning hacks.
15. Clean stains from Plastic Containers or Tupperware
Plastic containers tend to get stained from anything you store in them. However, you can easily remove stains from them using baking soda and warm water.
Fill half the container with warm water, add 2-4 tbsp baking soda in it. Let them soak in the mixture for an hour before cleaning.
16. Get rid of Mildew from Bathroom
Take a damp sponge and sprinkle baking soda on it. Clean your tile, shower curtains, tub, etc by scrubbing with the sponge containing baking soda. Rinse to reveal shiny surfaces.
17. Add to Dishwasher
Adding some amount of baking soda to the regular cycle of the dishwasher helps in eliminating unwanted grease from your pans and dishes and also easily remove baked-on food from ’em.
18. Deodorize Your Sponges
After a certain time interval, sponges tend to smell like mildew. Baking soda is perfect to remedy to get rid of the smell and freshen up your sponges.
Just mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda in half a liter of warm water, then soak the sponges in it for a few hours. This will eliminate the stale smell from overused sponges.
19. Freshen up your Fridge
If some food turns bad inside the refrigerator, it leaves a foul smell inside it for days and also ruins neighboring food by transferring the smell to it. Baking soda can be used to prevent this from happening. How? Just place an opened box of baking soda inside your refrigerator and freezer to help neutralize odors.
Baking soda absorbs strong food odor, so they don’t change the taste and smell of neighboring food items. Replace it every 3-4 months, it may need faster replacing if it starts to absorb too many odors.
Since your fridge is cleaned now, organize it with these brilliant fridge organization ideas.
20. Deodorize your Carpet
Of all the smells, urine smell (both cat and dog) are most difficult to tackle. But, you can easily get rid of urine smells of a pet from carpet by using baking soda. Just sprinkle some baking soda on the smelly area of carpet and leave it for 30 minutes, then vacuum up. Easy!
You can use WD 40 to get rid of carpet stains, WD 40 has some amazing hacks.
21. Deodorize shoes
Shoes tend to get smelly if not worn even for 2-3 days, especially in humid weather. Easily freshen up your shoes using baking soda, it is a great deodorizer. Sprinkle some baking soda in the smelly shoe and let it sit overnight. Dump out the powder before you wear and your shoes will smell fresh.
22. Deodorize Closet
Closet tend to smell musty after a certain interval due to humidity. Easy solution- baking soda! Just placing an open box of baking soda in the closet will help fight the odor and keep your clothes and closet smell fresh always.
23. De-Stink Trashcans
Trashcans can become too stinky sometimes. Although, a trashcan is always stinky. But you can neutralize the odor by sprinkling a layer of baking soda at the bottom of the trashcan and keep stinky smells away.
Vinegar is also a great deodorizer, these vinegar hacks are a must know.
24. Deodorize Cutting Boards
Getting rid of food odors like garlic and onion is extremely difficult. The wooden board tends to get smelly fast as wood absorbs smell faster than plastic and ceramic. However, you can easily get rid of the smell by scrubbing chopping board with water and baking soda solution.
25. Deodorize Dishwasher
Like the bathroom, a dishwasher can quickly begin to smell like mildew. You don’t want your dishes to smell of mildew. It’s easy to deodorize, you just need to sprinkle baking soda inside the dishwasher before cleaning every load of dishes. It also helps in cleaning.
26. Freshen up Water Bottle
Are plastic water bottles smelling stale? Just put 2 tsp of baking soda and fill it with water. Leave overnight to get rid of the smell. Rinse well before using again.
27. Deodorize Luggage
Is that old trunk smelling suspicious? Sprinkle some baking soda in the trunk, let it sit for some days and bid bon voyage to smells. Make sure to vacuum the trunk before using again.
28. Deodorize Hands
Removing onion and garlic odor from hand can be extremely tough. Sometimes it’s so bad that it does not get out even after washing hands with soap. However, washing your hands with baking soda and water can easily remove these strong odors from hand.
In fact, you can deodorize almost anything in your home just by sprinkling some baking soda. The list to freshen up things around your home will never end if I cover everything.
29. Baking Soda uses for Gardening
Sodium bicarbonate or Baking soda works great for plants and soil, it is a natural plant growth booster. Baking soda reduces the acid level of the soil. Baking soda makes a great pesticide.
Make a spray by mixing baking soda, water and a small amount of olive oil to kill spider, mites, and aphids. It also prevents fungal disease on plants and can even kill slugs. You can also use Hydrogen Peroxide to get rid of pests, there are some amazing uses of hydrogen peroxide around your home.
30. Douse Fire
If your frying pan or stove catches small fire, just throw in baking soda and it will douse it. This works only in case of relatively small fire, if not, call 911.
From Cleaning to Deodorizing, all of the baking soda uses are amazing and affordable. For such a low cost, there are seemingly endless ways of baking soda uses in day to day life.
If you like the post, don’t forget to share it!
What’s your favorite use for baking soda? Try out these baking soda uses and let us know the results in comments below.